Mad Max is the epic final stage of the infamous Outback Challenge. Mad Max takes competitors through the most extreme terrain that the Australian Outback has to offer. Guided by GPS navigation competitors are required to complete the 140km course within 8 hours.
This is a bit of background of this event and how it came to be. My name is Steve Tjepkema and I’ve ridden and raced dirt bikes for over 30 years. It is my passion. I have also raced 4WD’s in the Outback Challenge and many other events. The Outback Challenge is a cross country navigation event that runs for 6 days. In 2010 the organisers pulled the pin on the event. I couldn’t let this happen so I brought it back in 2014. I changed the format and it now runs like an ISDE. The best part is the final stage called Madmax and I have been planning on including bikes since I took it on. It is a 140km course that competitors in 4WD’s have 8 hours to complete. Most don’t. It is a perfect course for a hard enduro. So in 2017 we are including bikes in this epic stage. Here are the details:
- The date is Friday the 29th of September.
- Sign in and Scrutineering will be on Thursday the 28th of September.
- The start/finish line is approximately 30km out of Broken Hill on the Silver City Hwy. Camping will be available on site for $10/person.
- Vehicles and trailers will be secure onsite.
- It is a Motorcycling Australia affiliated event. Day Licences will be available for $75.
- The entry price is $185.
- The course is a single loop of approximately 140km. It is a mix of heavy sandy creek beds, extreme rocky gorges and shaley hills.
- It will be a hands on head motocross start.
- Numbers are limited for this year.
- It is a hard enduro and the riding is challenging.
- There will be 2 pits.
- The course is navigated by GPS. You will be given a gpx file to download to your gps. This will give you a line you have to follow. There will be a few signs on the course with bunting where it matters. If you don’t have a GPS you won’t know where to go.
For 2017 riders are limited so you will have to be quick as there has been a lot of expressions of interest. It will be first in best dressed and those that have registered their interest will get priority.
Not sure what GPS you need? Click Here for an ideal option