Welcome to the 2018 Outback Challenge. This is the 18th running of this iconic event. There has been a change in the format of this EPIC event for 2018 to broaden the appeal and still maintain the endurance element of the toughest 4×4 challenge in Australia. So the event is now based at the amazing outback station Mt Gipps and travels North into the EPIC gorges of Poolamacca.
- The event runs from the 27th of September to the 29th of September.
- There is a base camp and when you are setup you don’t have to move.
- Each day there will be spectator locations within walking distance of the camp
- If you feel adventurous there will be day drives out to the more EPIC locations to see the competitors. You will also have the opportunity to drive some of the stages of past and present Outback Challenges. (Don’t worry we wont be expecting you to need a winch) But what you will get is EPIC views of the rugged NSW Outback.
- There will be toilet facilities onsite. There will be no showers due to the water crisis at the moment. But you can travel back into Broken Hill (approx 30km) if you need a freshen up. The Caravan Parks are very accomodating.
- There will be food stalls onsite provided by the local charities.
- 26th September 7pm – Meet and greet at the Iconic Silverton Hotel. Grab a feed and meet the other spectators and competitors. You may choose to set up camp on this day also or you can choose your own accomodation in town.
- 27th September – Sign in and competitor scrutineering at ARB in Broken Hill 7am to 11am. You can catch up with us here to get your passes or you can see us out at Mt Gipps.
The racing will start in the afternoon with 2 stages in the rocks. All of the spectating will be done within walking distance of the camp site.
- 28th September – There will be 5 EPIC stages run for the day. The first stage will begin from the camp. Then there will be 4 stages run further North. This is where you get to go for a drive if you choose. There will be multiple options depending on how much viewing vs driving you would prefer. In the afternoon there will be a prologue for the bikes. This will be run near to camp and will be exciting to watch. This will seed the riders for the following days race. The final stage of the day for the cars will be under lights in the EPIC rocks around camp. It will be spectacular to watch and you will be able to see it from your camp chair next to the fire. This stage will also seed the Madmax only competitors.
- 29th September – MADMAX…..the EPIC Madmax! This is the toughest challenge in the country for an offroad 4X4 racer. Maybe even the world. The course is 150km long. It includes fast sandy creek beds, rocky gorges and massive rocky hill climbs. Even the locals wont go into these places. They think we are mad! What makes it difficult is the relentlessness of the terrain. Competitors may not even have to winch. But at times during this day the will question their existence. It is what makes or breaks people and machines. It takes a level head, fitness, teamwork and concentration to complete the 150km in 8 hours or less. It is truly EPIC.
- Presentation will be made at the end of the day at camp.
If this sounds like something you would be interested in then sign up. If you want to know more please email us via this link. Tell me more. Numbers are limited so get in quick to secure your campsite. Fill out the form below to lock in your 2018 adventure.